Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Man, Bart

A speaker at the Big Sur Half Marathon Expo was Bart Yasso.
A few weeks before we left for our Mt. Whitney climb, I purchased Bart Yasso's book "My Life on the Run". I enjoyed it so much, I xeroxed the last few unread chapters, packed it in my Whitney stuff and read it at night by headlamp before going to sleep on the mountain.
He turned his life around with a jog.
After running on all 7 continents, in all manner of races he's slowed down a bit due to complications from Lyme's disease. He's very active in fundraising and giving back to the community.
When his name showed up on the speakers list for the Expo I was thrilled!
We arrived in Monterey, picked up our packets and had a little time to kill before the lecture, so we wandered thru the vendors. I was looking at socks or something, I heard Matt call over "Lori, come on over here, there's someone I want you to meet". I slowly made my way a couple of booths over, still looking down at the tables of pamphlets etc. When I looked up there was Matt talking to Bart Yasso! Matt said "Bart, Lori has been running for about a year and a half. She's read your book and it's really inspired her."
Matt, thank you!!!
by the way, he will be in Laguna Niguel Nov. 20, for a book signing and fun run with the Fleet Feet crew. It's open to everyone!

No comments: