Thursday, October 9, 2008

Happy Endings?!

Sunday, Matt and I ran 10 miles through the back bay. It was a lovely morning, not too hot when we started out. By mile 7 I was starting to feel the heat and my left hamstring was starting to pull. Thinking it was just cramps I downed a HammerGel with some water and continued to limp along. After making the turn onto East Bluff, I trudged up the hill towards Corona Del Mar High school. My hamstring was feeling much better, it was probably the incline, and I happily trotted the last half mile uphill.
Fast forward to Wednesday(no running since Sunday). We decide to try another run, our legs should have recovered from Sundays long run by now. 2 minutes after we start, my left hamstring is killing me. I wave Matt on to continue. Our plan was to run 6 miles. I start walking. Run alittle more, pain, walk again. At 3 miles, our turnaround point, I caught up to Matt and we start back. It's downhill for about 1.5 miles and my leg feels better so I pass him, but last 1.5 miles back to the car uphill killed me.
I had gotten some advice from other runners, Rick S. and Bill R., both whom run ultra's, to consult a massage therapist. Well, the Long Beach Half is just days away and I can barely walk, let alone run...so, as fast as my little legs could carry me I dig up the yellow pages and leaf through the massage therapists. "Happy Endings", Ultimate Pleasure", "Exotic Massage"...What!!!! Maybe if I get an "Ultimate Pleasure" massage by a hunky guy I'll forget my pain?! Matt suggests I look under "Theraputic Massage" in the yellow pages.
Well, to wrap this up, I found a sports massage therapist who spent an hour working over my abused legs. This morning I woke up almost pain free and thinking about running...not!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori, great blog!

Sorry to hear about your hamstring issue with the race date so close.

Hope you feel better by Sunday, but if not, at least you can cheer Matt on!