Sunday, October 12, 2008

High Tech and Low Tech

Whew, we made it to the finish line! Honestly, a few days ago, that was all I wanted out of this race. To finish. After 4 days of ice, ibuprophen and wrapping I was hobbling along on my sore left hamstring. I got a 5 mile run out of it on Friday, nice and slow on the Wood Canyon trail with out too much pain. I was cautiously optimistic...
I'd read about some compression tights-very high tech. Thick and strong lycra with strips of nylon sewn on top to provide support, much like being taped. I bought a pair instead of trying to run with the neoprene wrap, which kept slipping down during my Friday practice run.
Sunday at the starting line I realized I forgot my watch! How can I run without a watch? I won't know my pace! No time to go back, so I just let the crowd dictate the pace at the start. Mile 3 I asked a man for the time. 36 min. Yikes better step it up! The crowd was starting to thin and I was thinking I needed to make up a lot of time! So I ran this race in a very low tech manner. I listened to my body. Ran as fast as I could for as long as I could, then slowed to catch my breath. I had no idea of the time until I saw the finish clock. My chip time: 2:06:32. 7 min faster than 2007.
Matt is amazing. He'd run maybe 5 or 6 times to train for this and finished 2:17:59! Imagine if he'd actually trained...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like both of you had a great day. Congratulations!